My Family

My Family

Friday, May 27, 2011

The "beginning" of summer.....Larson style.

So here we are, Memorial Day weekend.  The unofficial beginning of summer.  Up until a couple of years ago, we didn't really do a whole lot to celebrate this weekend.  And then.....we were bit by the camping bug. Our close friends, the Johnsons, invited us to join them a couple of summers ago.  I was not a big "outdoorsy" gal up until this point, and I was definetly hesitant to do it.  The kids, however, could not wait!!  So we loaded up our van and borrowed a pop-up camper, and off we went.  What followed was a weekend fill with sun, water, laughter, food, friends....and oh yes, beer. It was relaxing and filled with activity all at the same time.  By the time our weekend came to an end, the kids did not want to go home and I admit, I was kind of sad too.
So, I have spent the better part of this week preparing for our annual adventure to Lake Hendricks in Riceville Iowa....gotta spend a little time in the hubby's old stomping grounds, ya know?! Jimmy has been in Chicago for work all week, so that left the monsters and I to put together a list and get to work. 
First on the list....dig for worms!!  That's right, I sent them out with shovels and a styrofoam cooler filled with dirt.  You wouldn't believe how expensive worms are!!  Not to mention that young boys lose more than they actually get on the hook.  Also on the list, pack all the clothes, sand toys, bubbles, fishing poles, bikes, sleeping bags, chairs, lots of food...and my famous tuna salad. The van is packed and ready to go, granted I can barely see out the back window....a lot of stuff to get through one weekend!!  It's almost time to get the kids from school and we're off!!  I won't see my children much in the next few days, except for when they're hungry. My husband will be out in the boat with his buddies. And me?????  Well, I will be in a paddleboat with my girl Jenny and a cooler full of Nordeast!!!  That's how we start summer....Larson style.  Have a very Happy Memorial weekend, and stay safe!!

The fabulous Miss A at Lake Hendricks last Memorial Day.


1 comment:

  1. Have a wonderful time Kelly! Looking forward to seeing some pictures!

    ReplyDelete