My Family

My Family

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Turns out my thumb isn't brown.....

As a kid, many of my spring/summer memories include watching my mom produce amazing, bountiful gardens. I never could understand what it was about gardening that she loved so much until I turned 30. It was then that I finally ended my quarter life crisis and realized that many of the things I learned as a kid are truly enjoyable for me, gardening included.
This wasn't always the case. I very rarely helped out with yard work. Mom would throw out names of flowers and plants and I would pretend to know what she was talking about while thinking "Really Mom, can you just tell me what color they are?" My senior year of high school I redecorated the room I shared with my sister...this is back when "southwestern" motifs were big.  So, I decided that my new "southwestern" room would be incomplete without a cactus.  Who can kill a cactus right??  Well, this girl did....much to my embarassment.  This is when I proclaimed myself a brown thumb.  This did not stifle my attempts to do what my  mom could do...many philodendrons, spider plants, and palms later....I was still unsuccessful.
4 years ago, we moved into our house and needless to say, there was ALOT of yardwork to do.  I was frightened!!  I began searching for flowers, researching trees and how to care for a lawn. I bought plants, transplanted flowers from Mom's amazing garden and raked until my arms fell off.
Here we are....4 years later and I am finally seeing my work pay off.  I have beautiful plants coming up (and have killed very few). I can name them all and tell you where best to plant them and how to keep them thriving. I can even grow a vegetable garden. My little tomato and pepper seedlings are flourishing, my family had enough frozen vegetables to last us an entire winter and I can make one bad-ass salsa!!
It is amazing that it took me 30 years to realize that I did retain all that info my mom pumped into my brain. And as much as we hate to admit that we are like our parents.....I am so much like my mom. Thanks for the green thumb mom...hope Alayna gets it too :)  Happy Gardening friends!! K

No comments:

Post a Comment