My Family

My Family

Thursday, September 8, 2011

This is new to me....

As many of you may know, my dad is battling metastatic breast cancer which is now attacking his bones. This all began nearly 5 years ago and the prognosis was not spectacular. We have been given so much more time than we thought and for that, I am grateful. However, now that Daddio is in for the biggest fight yet....I have gotten selfish. I want more time, I want my kids to have more time...I need to get a text from my dad everyday that makes me laugh, its what I live for. 
This process has taken my dad through many courses of treatment, except traditional chemo. That starts this coming Tuesday. I am now gearing up to take care of not only my children and husband, but also step in and  help take care of my dad.  As a kid, you never think this day will come...especially not in your early 30's. Your parents are supposed to be around forever....right? Alas, this is my reality.
I would be lying if I said I always felt like I would be ready to help with taking care of things for my dad...our relationship has been a challenging one. For those that know us best....you know how us Hubers can be :) And for all the hurt that we may have caused each other, amends have been made and I am closer to my dad now than I ever was before. He is our advice giver, our handyman, our realtor (in Eric's case anyway), our mechanic (well everyone but me, mine sleeps in my bed), our in house comedian...and our best friend. So....as we prepare for this next battle, I think to myself....this better eff-ing work, because my daddy can't go anywhere.
I know this is probably a buzz kill on such a beautiful Minnesota day...but it's what on my mind today. Maybe tomorrow I will have something more cheerful......Hugs ~ K

No comments:

Post a Comment