My Family

My Family

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanksgiving traditions...or not.

It is hard to believe that Thanksgiving is already upon us. As many of us prepare for the holiday chaos to begin, I got to thinking about traditions. I don't know about you, but in our family it seems to change every year. There are very few things that remain the same and that I would consider "tradition".
This year for instance, we will be traveling to my mom's house. Only it isn't the same mom's house that we have known for the last decade....it is a new, smaller house that is home only to my mom and her dog Marley. This will be a big change for our kids, there won't be the farm to play on, chickens to feed or eggs to gather.
This year will also mark the first without my Grandpa Peterson. There won't be anymore watching the twinkle in his eye as mom serves him his favorite....the turkey neck. And while growing up I thought the sight of him eating it was gross...I am really going to miss it. The attendants at our fesitivites always change, only a few people are always there....but everyone is welcome.
The few things that always remain, however, I am greatly looking forward to. Grandma Peterson's homemade rolls, Mom's ever impressive dinner (hope she makes the orange fluffy dessert that I love so much), my brothers creating their "sampler" dessert plates, my uncle Greg quickly falling asleep after dinner and us ladies gathered in the kitchen for clean up. (sounds old fashioned, I know, but I have grown to enjoy it)
So while our Thanksgiving celebration is undergoing some changes, I take comfort in the things that always stay the same. Here's to a day filled with food, family, laughter, and the Macy's parade! Happy Thanksgiving!
K

No comments:

Post a Comment