My Family

My Family

Monday, December 19, 2011

Another milestone passed.

It was a long time coming....yesterday A lost her first tooth! My kids were all a little late in losing their baby teeth, but none as late as A. I had gotten so used to her baby teeth that it was hard to imagine her with little gaps in her smile. Now that there is one, she looks so much more grown up to me. We had been bugging her for weeks about that loose tooth, and trying to get her to let us help get it out. Finally, she asked Jimmy to just pull it yesterday...not that it was hard, it was hanging on by a thread. He pulled it and she started to run away, not realizing that the tooth was no longer in her mouth. When she realized this, the look on her face was priceless. She started jumping and down with excitement, not even caring about her now bleeding gums. She ran to her brothers with her mouth wide open "Look guys, look!!"
As we laughed at her silliness, I realized something. I looked at Jimmy and said "That was our last first tooth lost." We got serious then, as it hit both of us how quickly they are growing. I am a big sap, so I got a little misty eyed. It seems as though there have been many last firsts lately....our last first day of kindergarten, our last first Christmas concert, our last first two wheel bike, etc, etc, etc. I know that there are many more to come and also that we still have many more firsts that will be quickly coming up. First girlfriends, first school dances, first days of middle school....it is hard to believe that those days are just around the corner.
With that in mind, I will be making more of an effort to enjoy those little moments. You know, the ones that feel little at the time and then looking back you realize that it was a pretty darn big moment.  Here's to firsts...and last firsts.  K

No comments:

Post a Comment