My Family

My Family

Saturday, January 28, 2012

On becoming a "sports mom".

My three monsters are very busy kids, I always knew we'd reach this point but really had no idea how busy it was going to be. Cameron plays basketball which includes practice 2 nights a week and games nearly every Saturday until the end of March. Seth has not yet selected a sport he would like to play, although he seems to have a knack for all of them. A has dance and girl scouts. Let's not forget the various birthday parties, field trips, etc...that grab up all of our time.
Today, the kiddos and I were up at 6am to get ready and on the road to Pine Island for a basketball tournament. When we signed Cameron up for "community education" basketball, I had no idea that it would require so much of our time. The boys played their first game at 8am, they won...so we waited until 11 (2 hour wait)...then they won again, so we waited 2 and a half hours for the championship game. Our 5th grade boys took second place.
Now, although this was our first full fledged tournament, we have been doing the Saturday game thing for just about a month. The boys play 2 games every weekend. At first I thought, just bring the camera and my purse and we're good to go. WRONG!!!!! I can't believe I didn't think about the other two kids that would have to be waiting around with us. I have since mastered the "basketball bag". In it goes snacks, sandwiches, water bottles, portable dvd players, Uno, camera, and a book for me (which I forgot today, drat!). Sounds like a lot, but when you have a totally fab Thirty-one bag, it works out pretty good.
My second hurdle was figuring out the lingo that comes along with being a basketball parent. I thought it was ridiculous to hoot and holler and get all crazy about a 5th grade game. Well, today I was one of the noisier parents...it's hard to not get into the game and get excited for the boys when they do well. This same behavior has caught me during dance shows. When watching them back on the camcorder I hear myself loud and clear, cheering as the girls get into their kick lines and rock it. I cheer loudly at track and field days and at the various school concerts. It was hard to imagine myself in this role...one of those weird parents that is just overly excited about what their kids are doing. But I love it, and really shouldn't be surprised. After all, I am sort of boisterous.
I am so looking forward to whatever the monsters decide to do next. In the very near future, baseball and a new dance school, guess I will have to get a couple more bags and be sure to include some throat lozenges for this crazy sports mom. K

No comments:

Post a Comment