My Family

My Family

Monday, January 16, 2012

On my way to a new me.

As I posted this morning on Facebook, today beings my 30 day Beachbody Challenge. My goal is to drop 25 pounds in the next 30 days by seriously changing my eating habits and using the P90X system (in conjunction with my kickboxing class and some treadmill time).
I have been struggling with my weight since 8th grade...I remember when it started. My family and I moved away from our home in East Bethel and all of my friends. Those that knew me up until this point knew me as this tiny thing with crazy long hair. I was so depressed about having to move (you know how 13 year olds can be) and so, I decided to hide out in the house all that summer and do NOTHING! I went up and down the scale for the next 5 years, and was feeling pretty good when I graduated from high school. I rode the Columbia Heights float as Princess and felt really good about myself, even though I was a bit bigger than most of the other royal girls. I worked out and did a lot of walking but never changed my diet (what college kid doesn't live on ramen and macaroni and cheese?) And then I met Jimmy. Not that he is to blame, because he isn't. Many people I know experience the same "in a new relationship so let's not care about our weight so much" feeling. Then 2 years later, I found out I was going to have a bouncing baby boy. I gave in to cravings of pancakes and York peppermint patties...not together though, that would be gross. I very quickly gained 40+ pounds, and that is still what I carry today.
Except that now, I am hypothyroid...which means I get to work extra hard to lose any weight. I have been using that as a bit of a crutch "Well, I do have that thyroid problem so I am just going to be fat forever." I know that what I see in the mirror is much different from those that love me see. I just want to be able to see the same thing. Also, being only 32 and have to be concerned about my "borderline" cholesterol levels, and the fact that my mom was recently diagnosed as diabetic...I need to do something.
I have already quit my excessive diet coke habit...not an easy feat, but I am already feeling so much better and am down 5 pounds!
So, to add to the craziness that is my world, I am going to be working on changing myself. I am stubborn, and fairly stuck in my ways...take pity on my family. It's going to be a rocky road, but hopefully the end result will be worth it. K

No comments:

Post a Comment