My Family

My Family

Monday, April 30, 2012

Celebrating Cameron

It is hard to believe that this past week my first born monster turned 11. It makes me misty eyed just thinking about the fact that he is growing up so quickly. He had a such a busy week, with MCA testing and the like. On his actual birthday, he attended a birthday party for one of his friends. Then on Saturday, we had a birthday party at our house.  Now, every year I ask myself...why do I do this?  Picture it....10 crazy, loud, excited, 11 year old boys, my two other monsters, the Jensen 4, the Johnson 3, our friends and Jimmy's family, all in my house. Luckily the rain let up for a bit so we could send the kids outside to enjoy the trampoline and the marshmallow shooters that Jimmy made. Needless to say, I had some pretty happy critters in my yard nibbling on marshmallows for the last two days.  (and I'm not talking about the kids)
Cameron didn't receive a lot of gifts (thank goodness), but what he did get were very thoughtful ones. Things that he truly enjoys, Beyblades, a paper plane crafting book (he has almost done all of them already), candy, Nerf, and, of course, cold hard cash :) A 2 hour long birthday party flies by when the kids are so busy, and before we knew it, his friends were headed home.
Except, that he was going to see them all again shortly.  One of Cameron's friends (and his brave mom), hosted a Beyblade tournament on Saturday night at their house.  You may not be familiar with Beyblade, so let me explain. They're basically tops, that spin when pulled on a rip cord type thing, they are metal and the boys have battles with them in these plastic "arenas". Also, I must add, that if the tips of them are left around they hurt like a bitch to step on! So, anyway, I fill them all up with cake and ice cream and ship them off to another mom...I felt terrible!! To top off the crazy weekend, Cameron and Seth had a friend sleepover on Saturday night.
So here's the answer to my previous question, "Why do I do this"?  First, I can count on one hand the number of birthday parties that I had when I was a kid. Of course, I don't remember my first birthday, but I do remember celebrating "milestone" birthdays...my 10th birthday and my 16th birthday. I like to make a big deal out of my kids birthdays, celebrating just them. Since our day to day is so crazy, I think it is important to focus on just one child for their special day.  Even the two monsters that aren't being celebrated that day get into it. Alayna wanted to make Cameron breakfast in bed, but it doesn't work when he is the first one up everyday. It was the thought that counts.  And, I try to make each one special. This has become much easier now that I do big fancy cakes :) Second, when one of my kids says to me "That was the best birthday ever!", I know I've made them happy...and that's all I want. I might be exhausted, have a headache, have frosting in the carpet, and have to pick marshmallows up out of the street, but at least Cameron had a great day.
So, another Happy Birthday to my monkey...I love you!!  K

No comments:

Post a Comment