My Family

My Family

Monday, June 25, 2012

My Monkey's heart.

Today was an extremely long day, we were up at 5 this morning and hit the road to the Amplatz Children's Hospital at the University of Minnesota to see Cameron's cardiologist.  It may seem silly to drive that far to a doctor, but when you have a good relationship and your child actually ENJOYS going there, well, you deal with it.  I received a lot of questions about what was "wrong" with my boy. This happens a lot when we mention going to the cardiologist. So, I thought I would take a few moments to fill you in on why I spend an entire day in the car to visit this awesome doctor.
When Cameron was born, we had some issues with an irregular heart beat...poor kid. But by the time we went home, all was well.  When he was 15 months old, his pediatrician detected a murmur.  Honestly, this was no surprise, as Jimmy has one and so does my stepson, Drake.  The first visit to the cardiologist was scarier for me than for him, he acted like such a big boy.  We found what we already knew he had, a VSD, or ventricular septal defect.  Basically, Cameron has a hole in the septum of his heart between the two lower chambers.  In Jimmy's case, the hole has grown smaller with age and is in a location that doesn't cause him any trouble.  Same goes for Drake.  But, Cameron's is a little different.  His hole is below his aortic valve and has caused a bit of an issue, and so we have to watch more it often.
Today, however, when we were at the clinic, there were no changes and is valve is looking pretty good. So we get to wait another year to see Dr. Kaplan again.  Dr. Kaplan is an "old school" doctor, he doesn't like spending all his time with us typing information onto our electronic charts.  Instead, he sits and chats, and really has taken the time to get to know us as a family.  If I call him and give him my name, he knows exactly who I am and what my child's name is...you really can't beat that.
Eventually, Cameron's hole will have to be fixed so that he won't have issues later on in life with the valve.  But for right now, he is doing great and has no restrictions, except that he has to take antibiotics before going to the dentist.  I would be lying if I said I wasn't dreading the day they tell me it's time for surgery.  It terrified me when they brought it up all those years ago.  The thought of my baby having open heart surgery....makes me want to cry just thinking about it.  Cameron knows it's bound to happen, and he gets a little nervous every time we go in for an echo.  As I tell him every time, we will deal with it when we get there.  Still, the idea is always in the back of my mind.
There could be worse things, and I am so grateful to have such an amazing boy.  And so, for now, we move on.  -K

No comments:

Post a Comment