My Family

My Family

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Comforting the comforter

It probably seems silly to post something again today, but yesterday was a day of emotion at the nuthouse.  We learned of three people passing yesterday...a truly sad day.  First, of a royal family member.  Tom Sundly, Princess Danielle's dad...he was a great man and always made us smile.  My heart aches for his family and especially, my friend Danielle. 
Then later in the day, a Cresco friend.  Justin Steenhard, I only met him two weeks ago and looked forward to getting to know him better.  He was so full of life, and incredibly kind to my children.  Such a terrible loss at such a young age.
But worst for us, a dear friend of Jimmy's.  Ricky Moreno, taken too early by pancreatic cancer.  Typically, I turn to my husband for comfort when I am sad.  I don't really know to react when he is greiving, and feel at a loss for words.  This one is hitting Jimmy especially hard because he talked to Ricky the day before he was scheduled to get his test results, and never talked to him again.  Last night we learned that it was a matter of weeks before he was gone.
I know I'm not alone in that I count on my husband to help me through things.  But what happens when the tables are turned?  It seems so often that I need him more than he needs me, and when he does I am afraid I am not doing enough.  One of the things I love most about him is his ability to show emotion, he feels everything very deeply.  Typically, I call him a sap.  (he cries watching tv shows)  But when the emotion is pure sadness, I don't know what to do.  Maybe somewhere in the back of my mind I still believe that the man is supposed to be "the strong one".  But, really, it takes an incredibly strong man to share that kind of raw emotion.  I don't know if I'm doing things right, but for now I will try to be the stronger one and help my comforter through this.
Take a moment to today to hug those closest to you....you never know how much time is left.  -K

No comments:

Post a Comment