My Family

My Family

Thursday, April 2, 2015

Month 1 done!

Well, last night was my first weigh in since starting the Big Loser contest. It did not go as I had hoped, I am down 1.2% thus far. I was quick to get disappointed, but I had to remind myself that my body doesn't always cooperate or react the way most bodies would to increased exercise and a change in diet. I needed to remind myself that this is normal for me.
The past month has been bumpy. Have I wanted to quit? Absolutely! Have I cheated on my eating plan? Of course, I'm only human. But more than that, it has been a struggle nearly every day. Don't get me wrong, there have been some ups. Really good ones, in fact.
Here's what I struggle with...food. Food, and my ability to say no to certain things. I also tend of feel compelled to eat exactly what my husband is eating. Which, and he won't deny this, is not always that great. I also have a hard time saying no when someone has gone out of their way to buy me a treat or bake something special. And, ice cream...oh,  how I love ice cream. Most people struggle with the exercise part. But, that's the part I love. I also have a hard time staying motivated when my family isn't motivated. They're supportive, yes. But as far as participating in a life change with me??  Not so much.
Nonetheless, I have to remember that I am doing this for me. In order to be better for them. And so, I'll keep going. I walked a 5k a few weekends ago,  I have only missed 2 days of exercise in the last month, and I have greatly decreased my sugar intake. While I haven't seen the numbers on the scale move as much as I'd like, my clothes feel different. I am also seeing changes in my body, I feel my muscles taking shape again (mostly my legs, they're one of the few things I like about myself).
This second month of the contest, I am going to really focus on my food. I am excited about it, especially since all of my favorite things will be coming into season soon! I need to learn to allow my self the slips every now and then. And to not let it bother me so much when they happen. I wouldn't be me if I stopped having the things I love, I just have to teach myself how to do it in moderation.  If there is anything that I have learned in the last month, it's that if I plan doesn't make you feel good or you can't enjoy it...then it's not the right one. This makes me think back to the times I tried to convince myself that I loved eggs (gross), or that I enjoy any sort of shake type thing (ewww), or even that I could give up bread (yeah, right!). I wasn't thinking about what I could do long term or even what I enjoy, I was thinking about quick results. And that's not what this is about. I'm looking to change myself just enough to be healthier and to live a longer life. Also, I want to actually be able to wear the things on my clothing Pinterest board ;) which, to me, means that I have my confidence back.
Here's to hoping that month 2 is filled with more ups than downs. -K

1 comment:

  1. Keep up the great work Kelly! I'm having the same problems, but I can feel the differences in my body shape, and that helps keep me going. I've found a few substitutes for my favorites that are helping (Carb Smart ice cream and Russell Stover sugar free chocolates) but the biggest change has been moderating my portions. Good luck to you! -Chappy

    ReplyDelete